Many people have asked for an update on my Hong Kong experience. It’s been just over five months since I moved with Joanna back to her home city. Given our many new priorities such as finding a permanent place to live and a new job, I’ve recently been absent from the blog.
Thank you for continuing to follow me. In no particular order, here is a brief update of the many professional and personal experiences since arriving in Asia on January 27, 2017.
- Celebrated my first Chinese New Year in Hong Kong.
- Spending lots of time visiting with my family and hosting friends from Canada.
- Successfully passed the Hong Kong Pharmacist Registration exam, and became a registered pharmacist on May 2, 2017.
- Started my new job at the University of Hong Kong (HKU) Centre for Safe Medication Practice and Research, on May 4, 2017.
- Completed my first elementary Cantonese class with the Chinese Language Center at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). I will be starting the next level this week.
- Joined the South China Athletic Association fitness centre. Weight training is helping me get stronger and gives me more energy.
- Peer review one article and one Pharmacotherapy Self-Assessment Program chapter.
- Became a member of the Pharmaceutical Society of Hong Kong.
- Discussed pharmacist career opportunities with students at Island School.
- Joined the council of Pharmacists Connect, where I’ve made a lot of new pharmacist friends.
- Imbibed many local beers at Back to School Brewing, Hong Kong Beer Co. and Moonzen, some of Hong Kong’s great craft breweries.
- Attended the Hong Kong Pharmacy Conference and made some new friends.
- Discovered local fresh roasted coffee that is delivered to your door, from Coffee Roasters Asia.
- Attended my first Nerd Nite, Hong Kong edition, and learned about brewing beer and biodiversity.
- Attended Aging 2.0, hosted by Health Care Drinks, Hong Kong.
- Celebrated Canada’s 150th Birthday in style. The same day was the 20th Anniversary of the Hong Kong SAR handover to China.
- Joined HK Hiking Meetup, the globe’s most active Meetup group. We’ve completed a number of really beautiful hikes all over Hong Kong.
- Went sailing for the first time from the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club, at Middle Island with Joanna’s uncle.
- As part of my work at HKU, our team met with an executive editor of The Lancet. This was a very enlightening experience on medical journal publishing and the role of editors and peer reviewers.
- Worked out twice with November Project Hong Kong.
- Was in the audience of BBC World Questions, which was asking about the future of Hong Kong.
- Visited Singapore for the first time. Can’t wait to go back for a second trip!
- Finally sold our car in Canada.
- Went swimming at Repulse Bay.
- Found a great 380 sq ft flat in Causeway Bay that has enough room for an Asian sized twin bed-we used to sleep in an American king bed in Canada. Plus the flat includes two small balconies.
- Reconnected with my inner child at Hong Kong Disneyland, my first ever Disney park experience!
Between work and enjoying what Hong Kong has to offer, the blog will continue with a renewed focus on drug related research, and on medications and clinical pharmacy in Hong Kong.